Regional Gateway Manager
The company's vision is to be the growth partner for its clients. As a logistics company, we achieve this through proven expertise across our five lines of business: Supply Chain Optimization, Freight Forwarding, Contract Logistics, Distribution & Express and Road Transport. Our emphasis on excellence in these areas has made us a worldwide supply chain leader, committed to helping clients overcome their logistical constraints.
Purpose of the department
The international Gateway manages specific cargo flows for the Network either on own flights or on commercial carriers.
The Gateway is a service orientated team that strives to optimize revenues and service for the different stations
Key Activities / Accountabilities;
Result; efficient and effective management of the team in such a way that the determined targets are achieved.
• To be responsible for the Gateway department (AMS)
• To be responsible for Gateway team and responsiveness by the team
• To be responsible for all AMS Gateway related processes and procedures
• Member of the Regional Gateway
• To improve the services and foster a high-quality standard
• To be the primary spokesperson for all local Gateway related matters
II. Operational tasks
Result: performing operational tasks to manage and coach direct reports to enhance operational excellence.
• Close collaboration with other Gateway colleagues in various countries and supportive to country teams - using and consulting the Amsterdam Gateway for Services & Capacity.
• Ensure highest possible load factors / utilization of own flights, consolidations and linehauls – linked to target KPIs
• Ensure lowest possible unit cost (cost/kg and cost/file) through managing suppliers, improving efficiency, productivity and building scale
• Ensure lowest possible handling times on cargo throughput
• Responsible to manage all committed capacities to/from Amsterdam and ensure to avoid paying dead freight
• Be proactive for Airfreight solutions for all BU in region
III. Specific Responsibilities and key tasks
• Manage Air Gateway operations to ensure error-free service and most efficient operation.
• Motivate and coach local Gateway teams to achieve the target set.
• Responsible for AMS Station ULD management
• Responsible for day-to-day operation of own flights and secure timely build up and turnaround times
• Ensure that all decisions made by the Gateway team are made with careful assessment and in accordance a uniform gateway operation, RCOM and Regional targets.
• Establish and maintain good rapport with key stakeholders (internal customers and external suppliers) for their continuous support.
• Responsible for the quality of the GHA and manage them on daily basis
• Acquire the lowest airfreight cost when needed against the best service option (focus on Core and Strategic Carriers)
• Close collaboration with other Gateway colleagues in various countries and supportive to country teams and colleagues.
• Close collaboration with the Dutch team to ensure the best procurement of airfreight related services
• Design monthly management report that will communicate on KPIs and improvement areas to Regional Gateway Management.
• Manage the administration and adhere timelines with job completion
• Problem solving and preventive tasking (present corrective action plan)
• Recommend and revise (SOP/WI) procedures to improve the performance.
• Foster Huddle / Scrum teams meeting(s)
IV. Human Resource Management
Result; directing, coaching, assessing and developing employees in accordance with applicable procedures and laws and regulations. Ensuring optimal quantitative and qualitative staffing. Responsible for its own personnel and organization.
• Instructs (new) employees, guides, assigns tasks and sets priorities.
• Responsible for correct execution of performance management such as midyear reviews and appraisals.
• Ensures that standards and norms are followed and to take desired actions in case of deviations.
• Supervises compliance with, and implements the, applicable legal regulations.
• Responsible for HR related tasks, such as selection and introduction of new employees, performance assessments and salary review
• Ensures the correct recording of changes and agreements with the HR back office, in accordance with applicable procedures.
5. Tasks and responsibilities in the context of quality, safety and environment
The employee is expected to conform to and act in accordance with the internal guidelines such as the Business Excellence (BE) policy from the Region and derived plans of and BE objectives for the country and/or your own location. In the Business Excellence Policy we strive for continuous improvement of the results and the total satisfaction of the stakeholders, such as customers, employees, society, shareholders and partners.
To this end, an active contribution from everyone is expected and employees must at all time adhere to the agreements laid down in the (QSE) management systems that incorporate the requirements of the applicable current requirements and standards as, for example, ISO 9001 (quality), ISO 14001 (environment), ISO 45001 (working conditions) ISO 22000 (food safety). The STS QSE management system and the various guidelines can be found at a central location which is accessible to everyone and will be explained during the introduction.
6. Profile of the position;
• At least 10 years of experience in the airfreight industry
• At least 5 years of experience in supervisor or management level
• Bachelor’s degree in logistics or management
• Capacity management / optimization
• Good command of written and spoken Dutch and English
• Strong leadership and communication ability. Sound interpersonal skills.
• Good practical knowledge of Microsoft applications: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
• (preference) Knowledge of CargoWise, Cargo One, Web cargo and other industry standard programs
• (preference) Knowledge and practical use of Lean, 5S (Green Belt or minimum Champion level)
• Ability to structure own work to ensure delivery on short term tasks whilst maintaining momentum on longer term tactical issues.
• Excellent communication skills with comfort in working with and presenting to management and external parties (suppliers)
• Process and quality mindset
• Ability and desire to drive project(s) to successful completion
• Financial, commercial, and operational acumen
• Strong problem-solving skills
7. Assessment criteria
• According to the job profile
• Annual KPI’s as discussed with the job holder
• Compliance with internal rules, procedures and instructions as well as the Code of Ethics