AMI pioneered the neutral, trade-only airfreight wholesale concept in 1976. Its early years were spent in developing relationships with numerous carriers, in order to provide its agent customers with a single source of capacity for all their traffic: a “one-stop- shop”. On many destinations, customers were given a choice of service levels, often based on direct or (slower) transhipment services, which were rated accordingly.
Neutrality – in other words, the deliberate distancing from any commercial dealings with shippers – has always been the core ethic of AMI, and a very strong selling point. From its beginning, when AMI first entered the market, a number of full-service freight forwarders have offered “co-load” services to smaller agents. But the underlying potential threat of an agent’s customer being approached by its supplier who was also a competitor has led many agents to give greater support to AMI.
Today, in a market which is dominated by spot-rating, AMI has strengthened its competitive position through a combination of convenience (the ability of an agent to book a large proportion of all his global traffic with a single call or internet booking, and deliver to a single drop-off point), pricing (like airlines, AMI also now spot rates for larger shipments), attractively-priced added-value services (such as receiving and trucking, and security scanning) and practical experience (for example, AMI will not support carriers or routings which – based on its vast experience – are known to present potential problems).
The position holder’s main purpose is to maintain our current customers and drive sales and sales initiatives to expand and grow our customer base. They will build and maintain solid relationships with existing and potential customers. The incumbent is expected to understand the needs of the customer, foster strong relationships internally and externally and drive the sales strategy for AMI in their location(s) of responsibility. It is expected that much of their time is out of the office and on the road.
Main accountabilities include:
- Possess the energy and drive to deliver upon the Sales Strategy for AMI products and targets
- Play a key part in setting realistic but stretch targets and goals for themselves
- Engage in product marketing and support
- Understanding the current competitor landscape and providing analysis.
- Increase client base across all products
- Drive and engage in European and overseas sales including travel where required
- Work with department heads to provide feedback and solutions on their performance
- Ensure the highest levels of customer service are being provided and report findings on a regular basis
- Support the customer services team during peak periods
- Work to increase the client base across all products.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven senior sales executive / business development with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in a sales position with a GSA and/or airline, preferably also freight forwarder industry experience.
- The successful incumbent will be educated to Degree level.
- A self-starter
- Self-motivated, disciplined and a proven success in relationship development.
- Good analytical skills
- Smart appearance and ability to interact/liaise with management on all levels and professional at all times.
- Good knowledge of all modes of transport including Air Freight, Express, European road and Mail Movements
- Excellent communication skills both written & verbal.
- Must have on-the-road sales experience with good negotiation skills.
- Must be able to drive and possess a clean Driver’s licence
- Previous experience in a management role
- Must be proactive & forward thinking with ability to drive change
- Strives to understand the customer and their needs and has the ability to provide solutions for customers.
- Builds trust easily, especially with customers
- Displays a high level of customer service and maturity when dealing with customers.
- Possess gravitas and have the ability to talk positively about our products and services
- Has motivational and inspirational presence
- A team player who possesses a friendly and confident manner with a pleasant personality.
- High level of self-awareness and understand their impact on others
- Has a bias for action.